Friday, June 24, 2011

Brainwashed

Completing the week of George Harrison songs is the title track from his final album, Brainwashed, which was released in 2002, a year after Harrison passed away.



Harrison included a passage from How to Know God: The Yoga Aphormisms of Patanjali that I've always thought was fitting, and a nice summary of everything that Harrison stood for, and wrote about.
The soul does not love. It is love itself
It does not exist. It is existence itself
It does not know. It is knowledge itself
I'm not a practioner of yoga, but I do my best to adhere to the precepts set out by Henry David Thoreau in Walden, particularly with the respect of finding moments in every day to be with yourself and your thoughts, in order to discover and stay in touch with who you really are. 

We've all been brainwashed by a society that has fetishized things instead of promoting thought. The only one who can set you free from it is yourself.

It's a theme I addressed in my own way, in my own songs, years ago. One of them was called "Turned", which warned of what was coming if we didn't change our way of looking at things.



We are the revolution that we need, and it begins not in the streets, but in the mind, and the heart.

Paul Kimball

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love where you're going these days Paul. Sounds like you're re-connecting with your roots.