Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Pop Matters: Smiths & Housemartins, "This Charming Caravan"



Apropos of nothing, really, other than me thinking this is absolutely awesome. My two favourite English bands of the 80s, and two of my favourite songs by them mashed up together.

I'll send this out to good pal and fellow traveler Nick Redfern, who I know is a huge fan of both The Smiths and The Housemartins, and who has just sent me a copy of his new MIB book for review.

See... it's apropos of something after all!

Paul Kimball

1 comment:

Kandinsky said...

I used to be a big Smiths and Housemartins fan...bad haircut, check shirt and teen mood-swings. I collected all the Smiths records and remember the 'secret' messages in the vinyl near the label.

At 14-15, my record collection was in the early thousands and I was selling *bootleg* TDK copies to classmates and teachers for £2.50.

Just thinking about those times makes me want to hear The Sugarcubes' Birthday. Soup Dragons? Ciccone Youth? Dinosaur Jnr and the Butthole Surfers. Great names and a few songs that have lasted...