Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Music of the Flying Saucers


UFOs (or Flying Saucers, as they were originally known), have had a significant impact on modern popular culture, perhaps most notably in film and television, but also in music. In this episode of The Other Side of Truth, I have constructed a playlist of some of my favourite Flying Saucer related music, from the sublime to the ridiculous, and all points in between. Enjoy!

P.S. Hat tip to my good friend Greg Bishop for the inspiration!



Underscore music (with my opening narration)

Kevin MacLeod - Psychedelic Crater

Playlist
1. Leonard Nimoy – Alien

2. Eddie Cletro – Flying Saucer Boogie

3. The Kirby Stone Four – You Came From Outer Space

4. The Mellotones – Flying Saucer

5. Langley School Music Project – Calling All Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

6. Mike Adkins – The Invaders Are Here

7. Billy Bragg & Wilco – My Flying Saucer

8. Sam Space & The Cadettes – Take Me To Your Leader (Cha Cha Cha)

9. Marty Quinn – Genuine (UFO) Contactee

10. Alan Lee Quintet & Friends – Flying Saucer

11. Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash – Marfa Lights

12. Walter Brennan – Space Mice

13. Mollie Thompson – From Worlds Afar

14. Robert Anton Wilson & The Golden Horde – Little UFO

15. Rodd Keith – Martian Jubilee

16. Geoff Goddard – Sky Men

17. Jon Mullane – Missing Time

18. Buchanan & Goldman – The Flying Saucer

2 comments:

Lance said...

Hello Paul!

Fun list!

Your inclusion of Rodd Keith brought fond memories. If you haven't seen "Off the Charts", I think you would, like me, be fascinated by the Song Poem subculture.

The sad story Rodd's life is included.

Best,

Lance

Paul Kimball said...

Thanks, Lance. I'll track it down.

I love the Langley Schools Music Project version of the Klaatu "classic". :-)