Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Latest from The Empire of the Odd

One of my favourite blogs, as regular readers know, is The Empire of the Odd, which you can find at: http://www.oddempire.org/weblog/ (also on the "Other Side of Truth Reading List").

Here is today's column, which I found interesting:

"Nonrandom Thoughts.

Some definitions

Skeptic; One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

Cynic; A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

Debunker; To expose or ridicule the falseness, sham, or exaggerated claims of: debunk a supposed miracle drug. (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

People have called me a cynic. I am scornful of some people. Does that make me a cynic?

Sometimes; I might not validate you, I won’t agree with you, unless you say something that I can agree with. When you don’t I don’t.

Is that cynical?

Am I a debunker? No doubt.

Mac Tonnies wrote a definition of a debunker that I quite like.

Debunkers comprise the most virulent of contemporary self-described “skeptics.” There is nothing inherently unsound about debunking, contrary to the many appeals on behalf of the “pro” side of any given paranormal controversy. But in order to debunk, the subject being debunked must be bunk. Valid, substantiated evidence cannot be debunked until new evidence supplants or alters it.

This is certainly true. Debunking is simply finding the truth of the bunk. Finding the truth that something is bunk. Is that a bad thing? Not in that light. When I debunk something, I have a reason. I don’t just do it because I dislike you. I might pay more attention to your web page if I dislike you. If you flame me I’m probably going to flame you back. If you deal with me in a reasonable manner, I’m likely to be very reasonable. There is evidence to support this.

Am I a skeptic? Certainly. It’s self evident.

Am I unreasonable? I am about some things. I’m unreasonable about liars and I intensely dislike bullies.

Is that unreasonable? Only if you are a liar and a bully. You will find me very unreasonable.

However; here is the crux of the issue;

I question myself. I ask myself these questions daily. I look in the mirror and ask, “Is this right? Is that fair?” Are you right? Are you being fair?

My detractors never ask those questions. Too intent on blaming others they don’t have time for self reflection. To intent on saying “it’s not my fault, it’s THEM that caused it.” They have no recursive thoughts, they don’t’ self reflect, they are spiritually dead.

They take no responsibility for the place they are or the people they have become.

I pity them.

I pity people who would listen to them. They have little to say. They find expression difficult.

They sound like children."

This ought to make him the target of feigned outrage by the True Believers... which shows that the Odd Emperor must be doing something right!

And kudos to Mac Tonnies (a good guy, despite his evil Cyberpunk alter ego) - his definitions, mentioned by the Odd Emperor above, are spot on.

Paul Kimball

6 comments:

XXX said...

Paul,
Nice blog, keep up the good work!
Your blog is creative.
Andy Clair

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Sir, how do you know your detractors don't actually engage in self-criticism? Maybe they do, and you haven't been made aware of it.

I really must stop visiting this blog (which, even to my non-ufologist background, is an excellent one) and get back to work.

Paul Kimball said...

Adam:

Thanks. And I'll take "creative" as a compliment! :-)

TM:

I never said they didn't engage in self-criticism. That was the Odd Emperor.

I just happen to agree, at least in most cases. You, of course, are the exception that proves the rule - although in your case I always thought it was self-doubt, not self-criticism, which is an entirely different proposition. :-)

Paul

Mac said...

Ah, someone who Gets It!

The Odd Emperor said...

This came from a back and fourth between King Alfred and myself. I posted a short rebuttal on his Alien Views blog. Nothing obnoxious or OT. But he had some choice words for me just the same before signing off in disgust and zapping my comment. His prerogative to be sure. However I find his behavior that of a small boy banging his fists in frustration--which is my prerogative. At the same time I think he has a right to say what he likes, just like I have a right to tell him that he’s behaving like a jerk when he name-calls people. (Note please that I don’t think he’s a jerk, I find that he occasionally behaves like one.)

He and a couple of other folk seem to have a big problem with the Odd Emperor and cannot bring themselves to address it directly. King Al and R Lee (of UFO Bits) both posted rebuttals of some recent entries at the Odd Empire but, hysterically they will not (or cannot) address me with my supposed problem.

Because they understand deep down, it’s really their problem.

Paul Kimball said...

Don't worry, OE. It isn't just you they have a problem with! :-)

As you say, however, it's their problem.

Paul