Sunday, October 16, 2005

Fields of Fear - Update

For anyone wondering why I haven't posted as much as I usually do this past week, I am in the middle of editing the Fields of Fear documentary right now, which takes about 14 to 16 hours of my time each day (although I did manage to find enough time today to catch David Cronenberg's latest, A History of Violence, with Linda).

For folks who want some background information on the subject of animal mutilations, I suggest you read Operation Animal Mutilation: Report of the District Attorney, First Judicial District, State of New Mexico. The report, which was the result of an extensive investigation by former FBI agent Kenneth Rommel, can be found on-line at http://www.parascope.com/articles/0597/romindex.htm. One can also track down a copy of Linda Moulton Howe's film, Strange Harvest, which is where the UFO angle in terms of the animal mutilation phenomenon really began. Another place to look, if you can find a copy, is Mute Evidence, by Daniel Kagan and Ian Summers. In the book, they sum up the problems with Howe's film. "This wasn't research," they write, "it was the delivery of dogma."

However, the Rommel report, while being accepted by the authorities, was rejected by many ranchers, who were convinced that there was more to the mutilation phenomenon than just the work of predators. Amateur investigators, among them Canada's Fern Belzil, continue to look into cases, and continue to reject the predator explanation as valid. You can see Fern's work at his website, http://ufobc.ca/Fern/. Above is a picture of the remains of one of his mutilation cases. The work of aliens, or predators? Or perhaps something (or someone) else?

Our film will provide an objective analysis, and, hopefully, some answers.

Paul Kimball

4 comments:

Mac said...

I *love* Cronenberg. "Violence" is on my "must" list. What did you think?

Paul Kimball said...

Mac:

I'm not a huge Cronenberg fan, although I may be the only person who actually enjoyed "Crash" when it first came out (which probably says more about me than the film!). I think "Violence" is his best work to date - sure beats the heck out of "Existenz." I'm sure some of his fans may think it's too mainstream, but I thought it was a nice mix of the "mainstream" with conventional Cronenberg style. I give it a 7 out of 10, or three *** out of four.

Paul

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

I saw some mutilated animals on I-10 in Mississippi back in '89. Perhaps it's simply the work of large trucks.

fatrobot said...

i saw a show about chupacabras not too long ago,
a boring one at that
i'd be interested in seeing a good one